Saturday, February 21, 2009

Alif Bah Taa Thaa Jeem Haa Khaa

The Arabic alphabet is becoming well-known in our household. My boys have really enjoyed the alphabet song. You can hear it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI3oBB_n1AU The boys are learning the alphabet for French, Spanish and Greek as well but Arabic has caught on much more. I caught my 5 year old singing it yesterday and he was so proud of himself. I've caught everyone in our household singing it, well everyone that is except the baby. My 7 year old will make sure he gets the glottal kh sound in khaa correctly. The boys look forward to Arabic and want to learn more. It seems as though French and Spanish are somewhat "boring" when compared to Arabic and Mandarin.

We are starting to learn Arabic script as well. I always wondered how anyone could make sense of it, but not anymore. At the beginning of the year I purchased some magnetic Arabic letters that attach together. Learning the alphabet has helped us start to understand script. Tuesday is the next day we do Arabic and I know we are all looking forward to learning more of the Arabic alphabet.

Right now I am in search of a good Arabic comprehensive program. Rossetta Stone is at the top of our list, but I am looking for what else is out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment